The project is jointly supported by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development and the Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC). Research is carried out in trials across the grain growing region of WA. Findings from these trials are shared at the GRDC Research Updates, field days, grower group meetings as well as on social media, namely Twitter.
Information on currently grown, recently released and near to release wheat varieties is provided to growers and advisors through a series of decision support tools including the Wheat Variety Sowing Guide, MyCrop and Variety factsheets.
The research themes for 2017 were:
- Tactical agronomy
- Long season wheats
- Continuous wheat
- Assessing varieties for Falling Number Index and pre-harvest sprouting (PHS) risk.
Under these four themes, there were 14 trials carried out across the grain growing region of WA (two of these trials were cancelled due to the poor season).
The thumbnail below links to the 2017 trial program map.
Useful information from the project
Some helpful information produced by the project includes:
- 2018 Wheat variety sowing guide for Western Australia - Your one stop shop for information on currently grown and recently released wheat varieties.
- Flower Power - A tool to help you work out when your wheat variety will flower across a ranage of sowing dates and locations.
- MyCrop Wheat - An app for android or iOS device with wheat variety fact sheets as well as in paddock diagnostic information.
- Essentials of growing a wheat crop - Some helpful tips for growing a successful wheat crop.
The wheat agronomy team
Our project conducts trials and works with growers across the entire grain growing region. Our staff and their locations are listed below. Contact details for key research and development staff are included at the bottom of the page.
Alternatively, you can follow some of our team members on Twitter (handles below). A wide range of wheat agronomy information and updates of trials are shared here.
- Christine Zaicou-Kunesch - Research Officer @CZaicou
- Melanie Kupsch - Technical Officer
- Bob French - Senior Research Officer @bobfrench14
- Dion Nicol - Research Officer
- Georgia Trainor - Development Officer @G_ctrain
- Shahajahan Miyan - Research Officer
- Bruce Haig - Technical Officer
- Brenda Shackley - Research Officer @BrendaShackley
- Rod Bowey - Technical Officer
- Jeremy Curry - Research Officer @JC6450