What our rangeland staff do
Our main activities are:
- the Western Australian Rangelands Monitoring System (WARMS), which monitors rangeland condition change at the regional and land conservation district scale
- leasehold visits for assessing pastoral condition
- rangeland surveys of broad rangeland areas to record the resource details in each area
- producing web and publication information resources for pastoralists and other rangeland managers
- research and development for intensified rangeland use, such as irrigation and cattle markets.
Covers the east and west Kimberley, and the Pilbara
Kathryn Ryan, +61 (0)8 9166 4015, email Kathryn Ryan for rangeland pasture information, rangeland management and pastoral plant identification.
Matthew Fletcher, +61 (0)8 9166 4019, email Matthew Fletcher for rangeland inspections, pasture and grazing management and WARMS.
Trevor Price, Broome, +61 (0)8 9194 1441, email Trevor Price, manager for the Northern Beef Development project.
Covers the Pilbara, Gascoyne and Murchison
Damian Priest, +61 (0)8 9956 3349, email Damian Priest for rangeland inspections and WARMS.
Covers the southern Pilbara and Goldfields-Esperance
Wayne Fletcher, +61 (0)8 9690 2135, email Wayne Fletcher for WARMS and rangeland science.
Perth and other offices
Covers state-wide or project level responsibilities
Mark Ritchie, Bunbury, +61 (0)8 9780 6263, email Mark Ritchie, beef industry development.
Nathan Penny, Perth, +61 (0)8 9368 3577, email Nathan Penny for rangeland policy.
PJ Waddell, Perth, +61 (0)8 9368 3421, email Peter-Jon Waddell, leader for the Southern Goldfields/Great Western Woodlands survey, and for rangeland science, rangeland ecology, rangeland restoration and rehydration.
Phil Thomas, Perth, +61 (0)8 9368 3333 (reception), email Phil Thomas for analysis of WARMS data, analysis of pastoral lease condition and support to the Commissioner for Soil and Land Conservation.
Rob Sudmeyer, Esperance, +61 (0)8 9083 1129, email Rob Sudmeyer, manager for the Rangelands Group and liaison with the Pastoral Lands Unit of the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage.
Rodney Safstrom, Perth, +61 (0)8 9368 3169, email Rodney Safstrom for rangeland policy, rangeland science and rangeland ecology.